Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Death Cure by James Dashner (The Maze Runner, Book 3)

The Death Cure
This is the third book in the Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner. The author redeemed himself a bit in this book after the mess that was The Scorch Trials (book 2). I decided to read the third book so that I could get answers to all those questions that were still outstanding from the first 2 books.


Who/what is W.I.C.K.E.D.?
What part did Thomas and Theresa have in designing the various trials encountered in these books?
What caused The Flare and how close is W.I.C.K.E.D. to finding a cure? Have all these trials and death resulted in a cure?
What is going to happen to Newt?

Unfortunately, almost none of these questions are answered and even more crop up in the third book despite a very definite end to the story which leaves the reader unsatisfied.

I listened to both The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure on audio, narrated by Mark Deakins. Mr. Deakins did a fine job with the book and the characters (even the stereotypical accent/cadence of Jorge) and it was through no fault of the narrator that these books were such a letdown to me – especially book 2. There’s still the fourth book in the trilogy (lol), the Kill Order, to read but I might wait to give that a try.

Rating: 2.75

No comments:

Post a Comment