Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Ocean Between Us by Delisa Lynn

The Ocean Between Us
Well, that's 3 hours of my life I'm not getting back...If I wasn't reading this book for a specific reading challenge, I probably would have DNF'd about half way through.

The story had promise but the characters are so annoying and the dialogue so bad, that it can't overcome the shortcomings of the book. The main character, Hendlee, is a twit. She's decided - the night before, Quaid, her best friend and the guy she's loved for years leaves for the Navy - that she wants him to be her "first." Quaid, for his part, tries to keep things in check, but since he's loved her for years as well, Hendlee eventually overcomes all of his reasons why this is a bad idea.

Then, only a few months after Quaid has left town for boot camp, one of his friends convinces him that Hendlee has moved on and he cuts off all communication with her (can we say, asshat?) despite her continued letters. Five years later Quaid returns to his hometown for a funeral. The sparks fly between him and Hendlee as both address the pain caused by the other's actions.

As I said, the story itself had promise so I increased my rating by half a star for that but the rest of the book was a mess.

Rating: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment